85113 - ECHO/PULSE - “Critical error – Echo/Livescribe Desktop has encountered a critical error and must shut down.” OR “com.Echo/Livescribe.Desktop has encountered a problem and needs to close.”
Trying to install and run Windows Echo or Livescribe Desktop I get a message: Critical error - Echo/Livescribe Desktop has encountered a critical error and must shut down. OR: com.Echo/Livescribe.Desktop has encountered a problem and needs to close.
If you receive the message:
"Critical error - Echo/Livescribe Desktop has encountered a critical error and must shut down."
"com.Echo/Livescribe.Desktop has encountered a problem and needs to close."
… when launching Windows Echo or Livescribe Desktop and:
- Echo/Livescribe Desktop has been installed and running without a problem, but has suddenly stopped working, please see 201210 - Windows - Renaming the Echo/Livescribe Desktop data folder.
- This is a brand new installation of Echo Desktop that has never run then you may be experiencing an issue with your system resources or with.NET Framework. Please see below.
For all Windows users Echo/Livescribe Desktop could be closing due to a system resources issue. To resolve this please reference 85112 - Windows Desktop very slow to respond.
Microsoft .NET Framework
If the section above did not resolve the issue then it is likely related to Microsoft's .NET Framework. This should not be an issue for Windows 8, but could be for 7, Vista, or XP. To confirm .NET is the issue please do the following:
- Run Echo/Livescribe Desktop to allow it to crash again.
- Click the Windows "Start" button.
- Right-click on "Computer" (7 & Vista) / "My Computer" (XP).
- Left-click on "Manage".
- Under "System Tools" double-click "Event Viewer" to expand it.
- Windows 7 & Vista - Double-click "Windows Logs" to expand it. Windows XP - No additional step required.
- Double-click "Application" to open the log.
- The log is date and time stamped. If this is a .NET problem you will see towards the top of this log:
Level (7 & Vista) / Type (XP) Source
Error . NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
If you do not see this error then you do not need to continue. Please search our Knowledge Base for other articles related to the problem you are experiencing.
If you DO see this error:
Windows 7 and Vista
- From your Windows Desktop click the "Start" button.
- Select "Control Panel".
- Select "Uninstall a Program" (Standard View) or "Programs and Features" (Classic View).
- Windows 7 - From the program list select "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile". Windows Vista - From the program list select "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP#.
- Click "Uninstall/Change" at the top of the window.
- Select "Repair .NET Framework…" and click "Next >"
- Once the repair is complete click "Finish".
- At the prompt click "Restart" to restart your computer.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Desktop software by accessing 80111 - ECHO/PULSE - Uninstalling Windows Echo/Livescribe Desktop.
After reinstalling if you are still having an issue please send us your log files by accessing 201012 - Windows - Critical error at startup. Unable to get Log Files using Livescribe Desktop.
- First make sure you have enough hard drive space to reinstall our software (minimum 300 MB) and to transfer data from your smartpen by referencing 80010 - Hard drive space needed to save all data from a full smartpen to Windows Desktop software? NOTE: Having too little hard drive space could have caused the .NET Framework 2.0 corruption. You will be responsible for freeing up hard drive space if you have run out. Livescribe cannot assist with this.
- Next, from your Windows Desktop click the "Start" button.
- Select "Control Panel".
- Select "Add or Remove Programs".
- Select "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2" and click the "Remove" button (you may need to scroll down to see "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2").
- If prompted "Are you sure you want to uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2?" click "Yes". NOTE: If Echo/Livescribe Desktop or any other applications that use Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 are running, a message will appear prompting you with "The following applications should be closed before continuing the install:" Please close any running application in the list before clicking "Retry" to continue. If a message appears stating "Microsoft .NET 2.0 Service Pack 2 cannot be uninstalled because it will affect other applications that are installed…" click "OK" and "OK" again.
Follow these steps to uninstall/reinstall .NET 2.0:
- Look for any other .NET installations in the Add/Remove Programs list.
- If there are any higher versions listed (e.g. .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2, .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1), they need to be removed first - starting with the highest version - before .NET 2.0 can be removed. Write down the versions before uninstalling them and then uninstall the higher versions.
- Reinstall the highest version of .NET Framework that you just uninstalled by clicking on the link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22.
- Access 80111 - Uninstalling Windows Echo/Livescribe Desktop.
This should resolve the problem. If you are still having an issue please send us your log files by accessing 201012 - Windows - Critical error at startup. Unable to get Log Files using Echo/Livescribe Desktop.