85121 - ECHO - Windows or Mac - Smartpen not recognized by Echo Desktop
Why is my smartpen not recognized by the software when I run the Echo Desktop (Echo).
If your smartpen is not being recognized by the Echo Desktop software, please make sure to follow the instructions indicted below for Windows and Mac.
In the event that the issue continues, please make sure that the Pencomm service is running, as shown below:
- Please make sure that the Livescribe Pulse smartpen service is running as shown in this article - https://livescribe.helpscoutdocs.com/article/776-85910-wifi-echo-pulse-turning-on-windows-pencomm-service-manually.
- A quick way to restart the service is by opening the Windows start menu, typing computer management, Click on services and applications, services, go to the middle column and search for the Livescribe Pulse smartpen service and make sure that it is running ( it called Pulse but it works for all smartpens including the Echo and the Livescribe 3 ).
- Please make sure that the smartpen is connected directly to the computer, not a hub or monitor.
- Test multiple micro USB cables as some cables may charge the smartpen but have may also have a broken or no data wire.
In the event that the issue continues, please go down to " Smartpen still not recognized" below.
Using ECHO DESKTOP, please run this installer -
- Make sure that the smartpen is connected directly to the computer, not a hub or monitor again. and test multiple cables.
- Install latest Echo Desktop and pencomm, reminding the customer that might need to bypass gatekeeper.
If your issue is not resolved by using one of the installers above, please click on the button "Smartpen still not recognized" below.
If Smartpen still not recognized
Smartpen hard reset is needed
Try a hard reset of the smartpen. This will not affect the data on your smartpen.
To perform a hard reset -
- Disconnect your smartpen.
- Press and hold the power button for 10+ seconds. Your smartpen will restart in a recording session and will turn off again.
- Press the power button. Your smartpen will restart with the message “livescribe… Starting…” (Echo) / “livescribe… Starting…
- Reconnect your smartpen.
If the issue continues, please confirm if there is any error message being displayed. If so please make sure to provide this information to one of our support agents.