26001 - WIFI/ECHO/PULSE - Smartpen not charging
My smartpen does not charge when I dock it to the charging cable.
If your smartpen OLED display does not light up and display the shapes of a battery and a lightning bolt when docked to the charging cable, please try the following:
- Make sure your charging cable is plugged into a USB port directly on your computer, not a USB hub, docking station, keyboard, or monitor port.
- Make sure your computer is turned on or the smartpen will not charge.
- If your smartpen display does not turn on when docked, the USB port may not be providing power. Try plugging the charging cable into each of your USB ports on your computer. If the display lights up, leave the smartpen connected to the USB charging cable for 2.5 hours for a full charge. Afterwards your smartpen should function as normal. If the smartpen is not fully charged after 2.5 hours please reference 26011 - My smartpen is not showing a full charge even after leaving it docked to the charging cable for several hours / overnight.
- If your smartpen display still does not turn on when docked, undock the smartpen and try a hard reset of the smartpen by pressing and holding the power button for 10+ seconds. Press the power button once more. Your smartpen should start with the message "livescribe… Starting…" (wifi or Echo) / "livescribe… Starting…Checking filesystem" (Pulse).
NOTE: If the smartpen that won't power on is an Echo smartpen, please see 26019 - New Echo smartpen - nothing appears on OLED when smartpen power button is pressed or when connected to USB charging cable.
If the smartpen that won't power on is a Pulse smartpen, which uses a USB charging cradle, try cleaning the contacts on the cradle and smartpen.
To do so:
- Take an eraser and rub the end on a blank area of paper to make sure it is completely clean.
- Without applying downward pressure that might bend the contacts, gently rub backwards (towards the Nav Plus) and forwards (towards the cable end) on the surface of the four metal contacts the cradle uses to connect with the smartpen.
- Rub the eraser end on a blank area of paper to clean it again.
- To clean the smartpen contacts, in a circular pattern gently rub the four metal contacts the smartpen uses to connect with the cradle.
If you have never been able to charge the smartpen using the charging cable or are having an issue with a smartpen that was charging before but has stopped charging, please let us know.