29005 - ECHO/PULSE - ECHO DESKTOP USERS - Manual Windows smartpen firmware update utility
How can I update my Echo/Pulse smartpen firmware if I cannot do the update through the Echo Desktop app?
We have a Windows Smartpen Flash utility you can use to update your Echo or Pulse smartpen when you cannot update using the normal Echo Desktop process.
WARNING: Always use the latest utility in this article, not one you previously downloaded. Smartpen firmware cannot be downgraded. If it is downgraded the smartpen could stop functioning properly (example: firmware X.5 is on the smartpen but you experience a problem and use an older utility to load firmware X.4 to try and "fix" the issue. Not only could this "fix" cause problems with the way the smartpen works, but it could also damage the data stored on it and require a master reset of the smartpen).
To install the Windows Smartpen Flash utility:
- Click on the following link: https://www.livescribe.com/downloads/support/LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_v188.8.131.52.msi
- Save the "LivescribeSmartpenFlashUpdate_<version>.msi" file.
- Double-click the "LivescribeSmartpenFlashUpdate_<version>_Win.msi" file.
- At the prompt click "Run" (Windows 8 - at the "Windows protected your PC" message click "More info" and then "Run anyway").
- Follow the prompts to install the utility.
To update the firmware:
- Open Echo Desktop.
- From the top Menu select "Tools > Echo Desktop Settings… > General".
- If you previously check-marked it, uncheck the "Autolaunch Echo Desktop when the smartpen is connected" option (you can turn this back on after updating the smartpen).
- Close Echo Desktop.
- Plug the USB charging cable directly into a USB port on your computer.
- Connect your smartpen to your USB charging cable.
- Windows 8 / Windows 10 - Press the "Windows" key (between "Ctrl" and "Alt" on your keyboard) to go to the start screen, type "smartpen flash", click on "Apps" on the right, and select "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)". Windows 7/Vista/XP - Go to "Start > All Programs > Livescribe > Tools" and open the "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)" utility (A message should appear below the update button similar to " [00:01] AYE-AAA-EZH-ZD (C): Pen Found and Ready - Click Update to proceed". If you do not see this message please reference 85121 - Windows - Smartpen not recognized by Livescribe Helper (wifi) or Livescribe Desktop (Echo/Pulse).
- Click the "Update" button. As the smartpen is updated the messaging will flash in blue. The process can take approximately 10 minutes.
The update is complete when you see "Finished: PASSED verification" in green. If you see a different message, undock and re-dock your pen and try the update again.