20104 - Smartpen maintenance and cleaning
How do I clean and maintain my smartpen?
The Livescribe smartpen, like any other electronic device, requires proper maintenance in order to ensure longevity.
Note that failure to maintain your smartpen properly can cause premature failure of your battery, display or other hardware components.
Here are some important points to keep in mind to protect your investment:
- Use your smartpen regularly. Your smartpen contains a lithium-ion battery which is not replaceable. If left in an uncharged state for an extended period of time, the battery will lose its capacity. You can prevent this by going through a complete cycle each month by draining the smartpen all the way down, then giving it a complete charge for 2.5 hours. If you need to store your smartpen for a while, please make sure it's fully charged before storing your smartpen.
- Do not attempt to charge your smartpen via any means other than the included Micro USB cable or a standard Micro USB cable (Pulse smartpens use the USB charging cradle).
- Keep your smartpen firmware current by installing any updates so you'll have the best experience.
- If your smartpen has been in an extremely cold environment, allow it to warm up for a few hours before powering it on.
- Low humidity environments can lead to static electricity; high humidity environments can lead to condensation - both of which are harmful to your smartpen.
Cleaning Your Smartpen
- If your smartpen acts sluggish or non-responsive when you interact with the printed paper controls, there may be dirt in the infrared camera lens area. Gently clean the lens with an alcohol wipe or cotton swab.
- Regularly clean the exterior of your smartpen with a clean, soft cloth dampened lightly with water. While cleaning, do not pour water on your smartpen or submerge the smartpen in water. Your smartpen is not waterproof. Exposure to water inside the smartpen will damage the electronic components and nullify your warranty. Do not leave the smartpen exposed in damp environments.