29001 - ECHO/PULSE - LIVESCRIBE DESKTOP USERS - Windows Master Reset firmware update utility
How can I completely erase my Echo or Pulse smartpen?
We have a Windows Smartpen Flash utility you can use to completely erase and reset Echo and Pulse smartpens that you are using with Livescribe Desktop.
IMPORTANT: All of the data stored on your pen will be removed including notes you have taken and sessions you have recorded.
To install the Windows Smartpen Flash utility:
- Click on this link
- Save the "Livescribe SmartpenFlashUtility_<version>_Win.zip" file.
- Once saved, at the prompt click "Open".
- Double-click the "LivescribeSmartpenFlashUtility_<version>_Win.msi" file.
- At the prompt click "Run" (Windows 8 - at the "Windows protected your PC" message click "More info" and then "Run anyway").
- Follow the prompts to install the utility.
To Master Reset and then update your smartpen firmware:
- Open Livescribe Desktop.
- From the top Menu select "Tools > Livescribe Desktop Settings… > General".
- Uncheck the "Autolaunch Livescribe Desktop when Smartpen is Connected" option (you can turn this back on after updating the smartpen).
- Also uncheck the "Autolaunch Livescribe Connect when Smartpen is Connected" option (you can turn this back on after updating the smartpen).
- Close Livescribe Desktop.
- Shut down Connect by right-clicking on the Connect icon in the system tray and selecting "Exit" (Windows 8 - press the Windows icon key on the keyboard to access Desktop and see the system tray).
- Plug the USB charging cable into a USB port directly on your computer.
- Connect your smartpen to your USB charging cable.
- Windows 8 - Press the "Windows" key (between "Ctrl" and "Alt" on your keyboard) to go to the start screen, type "smartpen flash", click on "Apps" on the right, and select "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)". Windows 7/Vista/XP - Go to "Start > All Programs > Livescribe > Tools" and open the "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)" utility (A message should appear below the update button similar to " [00:01] AYE-AAA-EZH-ZD (C): Pen Found and Ready - Click Update to proceed". If you do not see this message please reference 85121 - Windows - Smartpen not recognized by Livescribe Helper (wifi) or Livescribe Desktop (Echo/Pulse).
- Hold down "Ctrl" on your keyboard and double left-click on the green "Firmware (version)" number on the right.
- When asked "Do you want to master reset your smartpen? A master reset will delete all of the ink and audio from the smartpen." click "Yes".
- Click the "Update" button. As the smartpen is updated the messaging will flash in blue. The process can take approximately 10 minutes. The update is complete when you see "Finished: PASSED verification" in green.
Your smartpen has been reset and the latest firmware is now installed.
To restart Connect:
- Windows 8 - Click the folder on the taskbar to open File Explorer. Windows 7/Vista/XP - Right-click on your Windows "Start" button and select "Open Windows Explorer" (7) / "Explore" (Vista/XP).
- For 64-bit machines navigate to "CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Livescribe\ Livescribe Connect". For 32-bit machines navigate to "CD C:\Program Files\Livescribe\Livescribe Connect".
- Double-click on the "Livescribe Connect.exe" (you may just see "Livescribe Connect" if you are not viewing file extensions).
Now you can send using Connect again.