29006 - ECHO/PULSE - ECHO DESKTOP USERS - Windows Master Reset firmware update utility
How can I completely erase my Echo or Pulse smartpen?
We have a Windows Smartpen Flash utility you can use to completely erase and reset Echo and Pulse smartpens that you are using with Echo Desktop.
IMPORTANT: All of the data stored on your pen will be removed including notes you have taken and sessions you have recorded.
To install the Windows Smartpen Flash utility:
- Click on the following link: https://www.livescribe.com/downloads/support/LivescribeSmartpenUpdate_v184.108.40.206.msi
- Save the "LivescribeSmartpenFlashUpdate_<version>.msi" file.
- Double-click the "LivescribeSmartpenFlashUpdate_<version>_Win.msi" file.
- At the prompt click "Run" (Windows 8 / Windows 10- at the "Windows protected your PC" message click "More info" and then "Run anyway").
- Follow the prompts to install the utility.
To Master Reset and then update your smartpen firmware:
- Open Echo Desktop.
- From the top Menu select "Tools > Echo Desktop Settings… > General".
- If you previously check-marked it, uncheck the "Autolaunch Echo Desktop when the smartpen is connected" option (you can turn this back on after updating the smartpen).
- Close Echo Desktop.
- Plug the USB charging cable into a USB port directly on your computer.
- Connect your smartpen to your USB charging cable.
- Windows 8 / Windows 10 - Press the "Windows" key (between "Ctrl" and "Alt" on your keyboard) to go to the start screen, type "smartpen flash", click on "Apps" on the right, and select "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)". Windows 7/Vista/XP - Go to "Start > All Programs > Livescribe > Tools" and open the "Smartpen Flash (PenApps #.#)" utility (A message should appear below the update button similar to " [00:01] AYE-AAA-EZH-ZD (C): Pen Found and Ready - Click Update to proceed". If you do not see this message please reference 85121 - Windows - Smartpen not recognized by Livescribe Helper (wifi) or Livescribe Desktop (Echo/Pulse).
- Hold down "Ctrl" on your keyboard and double left-click on the green "Firmware (version)" number on the right.
- When asked "Do you want to master reset your smartpen? A master reset will delete all of the ink and audio from the smartpen." click "Yes".
- Click the "Update" button. As the smartpen is updated the messaging will flash in blue. The process can take approximately 10 minutes. The update is complete when you see "Finished: PASSED verification" in green.
Your smartpen has been reset and the latest firmware is now installed.