83101 - LIVESCRIBE+ - Pairing Livescribe 3 to multiple iOS or Android devices
How do I pair my Livescribe 3 smartpen with a second (or third or fourth) device?
You can pair up to four devices with the smartpen at a time but can only connect to Livescribe+ on one device at a time. If you are trying to pair a fifth device, the LED will remain solid green and you will be unable to pair until one of the four currently paired device pairings is removed. To do this, please see 83104 - LIVESCRIBE+ - Un-pairing Livescribe 3 from a device.
To pair to a second (or third or fourth) iOS or Android device:
- If Livescribe+ is running on any device that has already been paired, shut down the app(s) (83103 - LIVESCRIBE+ - Shutting down the Livescribe+ app).
- Turn on the smartpen.
- Tap the "Device Pairing" button on the opening page of your Livescribe 3 notebook to put your pen back into pairing mode (blinking green LED). If you don't have a notebook with the "Device Pairing" button but do have access to a color LaserJet printer, please see 60013 - LIVESCRIBE 3/WIFI - Printing free dot paper and controls.
- If you can't get the LED to change to blinking green after several taps then please see 26023 - LIVESCRIBE 3 - Testing the smartpen optics / force sensing relay (FSR).
- Start Livescribe+ on the second device.
- If running for the first time, tap "CONNECT WITH SMARTPEN" and then tap "PAIR" when prompted.
If you cannot get the second device to pair, make sure the second device is compatible - 83002 - LIVESCRIBE+ - System requirements of Livescribe 3 smartpen and Livescribe+.
Also, make sure Bluetooth has been enabled on your second device by accessing 83105 - LIVESCRIBE 3 - How to turn on Bluetooth for your iOS or Android device. If the device is compatible but you cannot get the prompt to Pair, try un-pairing any other non-Livescribe devices that are using Bluetooth and restart the device.
After running Livescribe+ again, if you still cannot get the Pair option to appear while the smartpen LED is blinking green:
- Shut down Livescribe+ on the second device. For Android, also shut down Livescribe Link if it is running.
- Start Livescribe+ on the device you originally paired it with.
- Once the smartpen LED turns blue, tap the pen icon in the upper right to access the Settings options.
- Tap "Forget this Device" option at the top of the window and the smartpen LED will change from solid blue to solid green.
- Shut down Livescribe+ on the original device.
- Tap the "Device Pairing" button on the inside cover of the Livescribe 3 Starter Notebook. The LED will start blinking green.
- Start Livescribe+ on the second device. For Android, you do not need to restart Livescribe Link.
- Tap "Pair" when prompted.
If you still cannot get the smartpen to pair, please let us know.