85901 - ECHO- Resetting the smartpen Real Time Clock
How do I reset the smartpen Real Time Clock?
If you have been directed to this article by Livescribe Desktop then this message might not be related to the Real Time Clock on your smartpen.
Mac Users - the message may appear:
- If your smartpen needs a hard reset - 28006 - Smartpen Hard Reset.
- If you started Mac Livescribe Desktop (because you have an Echo or Pulse wired smartpen) and then connected a Livescribe wifi wireless smartpen. The Livescribe wifi smartpen is not compatible with Livescribe Desktop.
- If you have recently upgraded to the Mac Lion Operating System. To resolve the error first try uninstalling and reinstalling Livescribe Desktop - 80221 - Uninstalling Mac Livescribe Desktop and Livescribe Connect.
- When you undock your Echo/Pulse because the smartpen isn't being recognized by Mac Livescribe Desktop. If you have ControllerMate software installed this could be the reason the data won't transfer. Even though you may not see the error in this article, please reference 85320 - Mac - Livescribe Desktop message "There was an error connecting to your smartpen. Please re-dock your smartpen and try again..."
Mac and Windows Users - the message may appear:
- If there was an interruption transferring the data from your Echo or Pulse smartpen to Livescribe Desktop (e.g. smartpen was disconnected during transfer or cable was moved).
- If the Livescribe Desktop data folder became corrupted. If re-docking the smartpen doesn't resolve the issue then one of these articles might help:
201210 - Windows - Renaming the Livescribe Desktop data folder
201220 - Mac - Renaming the Livescribe Desktop data folder
If you still get an error when you connect your Echo or Pulse smartpen to Livescribe Desktop then the Real Time Clock (RTC) on your smartpen may have been corrupted and is preventing your data from transferring.
When this extremely rare issue occurs you can:
- Perform a master reset on your smartpen which erases all of the data on the smartpen but will reset the smartpen Real Time Clock and resolve the transfer issue going forward. The master reset utilities can be accessed from these articles:
29001 - Windows Master Reset and firmware update utility
29101 - Mac Master Reset and firmware update utility
- Let us know you need the audio files and want to send us your smartpen to recover them. When we get your smartpen we will burn the audio files that would not transfer to a DVD or provide a link to the files you can use to download them (just let us know your preference). The files will be in an AAC format that you play from iTunes or Windows Media Player. This will not resolve the transfer issue but it will give you access to the audio files so that you can save them to your computer.